In basketball, the analytics revolution is just beginning. Since it’s at an early stage, there are some areas that are not statistically well-represented. My ultimate goal is to create an all-encompassing statistic that includes every significant portion of the game, from boxing out to scoring. However, that may be a long way off. I have been thinking lately of some statistics that I believe would be beneficial to study and see if they are meaningful. I’ll give a short list. They include:
- ONSE- Outcome Neutral Shooting Efficiency (or SSM- Shot Selection Meter)- This statistic would measure a player’s shot selection as it relates to his own ability. For example, if a player makes 75% of open shots from the left block, he would credited with 1.5 points for taking the shot (percentage from area*number of points possible). The number of points accumulated would be divided by the number of shot attempts. It would include free throws.
- Open Passes- This would record the numbers of times when a played passed a ball to an open teammate, regardless of what then occurred.
- PASE- Position Adjusted Scoring Efficiency- This statistic would measure a player’s scoring ability relative to other players at the same position. For example, if all centers in the league make 75% of open shots from the left block, a player who took that shot would receive .5 points for making it or -1.5 points for missing it. (If the shot is made, points allotted would equal 1-League Shooting Percentage*number of points possible. If it is missed, points alloted would equal -1*League Shooting Percentage*number of points possible.) The number of points accumulated would be divided by the number of shot attempts. It would include free throws. The league average for each position would be 0.
- Shot Assists- This would record the number of times when a player passed a ball to an open teammate, who then shot.
- Tips- This would record the numbers a player redirected any pass by an opponent.
- Unforced Turnovers- This would record the number of times when a player commits a turnover not caused by a steal or a 24-second violation.
If anyone has any more suggestions, please comment either on my Home Page or on this post.